A Career in Massage
Working as a Massage Therapist
Making the decision to enter into another career can be daunting – and good for you for taking on the challenge! Beginning this journey is like any other; you have to take a good look at where you want to go and how you are going to get there.
The students who are accepted into MH Vicars School are the ones who have the passion and drive to succeed in our challenging program. They are motivated, smart, flexible, and care deeply about helping others.
Those are all the same characteristics it takes to be an effective and successful massage therapist.
Are You Career Training Ready? Find Out! Take the MH Vicars “Career Training Readiness Quiz”
This fun online quiz takes 3 minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Training Readiness score now.
Many Options For Work
Massage therapy is a growing profession and well-trained therapists will always be in demand. The income possibilities for massage therapists vary, with fees ranging from $70 to more than $100 for a 60-minute massage. A sustainable practice will be limited to 4-6 massages per day, and of course overhead varies greatly, depending on location and the need for marketing.
Fully qualified therapists are in great demand in cities and rural areas. Many of our graduates book clients weeks in advance, and many are so busy that they aren’t accepting new clients at all.
A few examples of where an RMT can work:
- A clinic or health centre shared with other healthcare professionals (e.g., physicians, physical therapists, chiropractors, or sports trainers)
- Health spas or sports clubs
- Sports massage centres
- Corporate and industrial work sites; and,
- For themselves!
Owning Your Own Business
Being an employee can be an advantage early in your career, but experienced massage therapists typically make a better income by being entrepreneurs. To help our students prepare, we cover business topics in the program, including having each student create a complete business plan.
Our instructors all have extensive business experience. Several own clinics; all are entrepreneurs and share their experiences with the students throughout the course.
I'm proud to be a graduate of a school with a curriculum that placed me miles ahead of other school's graduates in term of knowledge, skills, and professionalism.
Should I Become a Massage Therapist?
Beginning a new career is a big decision that requires a lot of thought. Massage therapy is a wonderful profession, but make sure that it’s the right choice for you.
Massage therapy might be perfect for you if:
- You’re friendly, outgoing, and energetic
- You want to be part of a health care industry that promotes preventative wellness and overall health
- You want to balance your work and home life (farming, raising kids, travelling, etc)
- You want to set your own hours and say goodbye to the daily grind (no more cubicles for you!)
Becoming an RMT does mean you need to be completely honest with yourself about your goals and capabilities. Being an RMT does not guarantee fixed working hours and has a high physical component to practicing, so professionals must give priority to self-care. You’ll be working directly with people who need to trust you in vulnerable situations, creating a highly intimate therapeutic relationship, including touch.
- It’s a front-line health profession, but without the shift work and stress
- You won’t be tied to a desk — massage is active, even athletic
- There is always a demand for well-trained therapists across Canada
- You can be your own boss: in rented space, a clinic that you own, or a space in your home
- You can earn a comfortable income. Whether you earn $20,000 or $75,000+ depends on the size of your practice, whether you own the business, and where you are located
- Massage therapy is a very family-friendly career, especially if you are self-employed
- Your massage skills can take you to where the clients are: at work, home, or at sport or community events
- Have skills, will travel! MTs are always needed at resorts and tourist destinations
Is a Rewarding Career in Massage Therapy Right for You? Get More Info…
If you’re interested in learning more about careers in Massage Therapy and exploring whether MH Vicars School of Massage Therapy is right for you, fill out this form to receive more information.
A helpful Admissions Representative will be happy to answer any questions you have and help with everything from scheduling to financial aid.
For immediate questions, please call 1-888-663-7142.